Tuesday, February 12, 2008

No. 2 on the Boomer Wisdom List to Live By: A Load of Books on an Ass's Back


It has been said that learning without wisdom is like a load of books on an ass's back (I took this picture while out on one of my winter walks the other day. That's a donkey on the right and a broken-down tractor on the left).
To that end, I propose that No. 2 on the Boomer Wisdom List to Live By be this: Keep a book written by a wise man (two words)--or woman, near by and dip into it every day. I don't mean silly self-help books that are published by the dozen these days. I mean something classic that has stood the test of time. Right now, as you know from the previous blog, I'm dipping into a re-found Walden. Here's another insight from that cranky gadfly, Henry David Thoreau: I say beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.
Let me know what you think. Any suggestions for No. 3?

No comments: