Saturday, February 16, 2008

Add This to Our List to Live By


I decided that the Boomer List to Live By should be, at least for now, in no particular order. And, in fact, we might later decide that making lists has become so popular in our culture as to become a cliche--and we need to avoid cliches lest we lose our creativity.


In any event, here's another quote from Walden: ...I am convinced, by both faith and experience, that to maintain one's self on earth is not a hardship but a pastime, if we live simply and wisely...
We boomers about to retire can take this to heart as we prepare to live on what is probably going to be significantly less income than we are bringing in now. So, here's the next item on the list (and again, in no particular order): There is no need to struggle. As Thoreau said, simplify, simplify, simplify. I'm pledging myself to living more simply and continue debt free come July when I get my last paycheck.
By the way, and speaking of pastimes, the photo here is of racoon tracks in the snow. I took it last week during a morning walk in the Massachusetts woods after a light snowfall. Taking walks and pictures is a simple enough pastime and I'm enjoying them both immensely.


No comments: